The Zero Waste Block Pants have an attached waistband with inserted elastic and front pleats for a slightly tailored look. There is a feature seam line on the back legs, this placement is higher or lower on the leg depending on your chosen size. The side seams sit slightly into the front pant and there are concealed in-seam pockets at the front and patch pockets at the back. This pattern comes with one hack, a skirt with patch pockets and an elasticated waist.
Zero waste pattern cutting is a bit like a puzzle. It is a method of pattern drafting where you utilise a length of fabric end to end by strategically planning your pattern pieces so that everything is used. This pattern does not require the printing of large pattern pieces, instead, you draw your pattern pieces directly onto your fabric with the aid of a cutting plan and templates.
Please note: This PDF sewing pattern uses zero waste pattern cutting and includes instructions to draw shapes directly onto your fabric. With the exception of some templates, there are no large pattern pieces to print out. You will receive a link to download the digital files after purchase.
Sewing Level: Advanced Beginner.
Recommended Fabric: Woven fabrics. Medium-heavy weight woven cotton and linen. Light -mid weight wool.
Sizing: This pattern comes in 10 sizes, an XS-6XL (hip 86-152cm / 34"-60"), with all sizes included in the pattern. Each size has a separate cutting plan booklet with detailed measurements and templates.
Fabric Requirements: The fabric width should be between 140cm - 155cm / 55" - 61".
Yardage requirements depends on your chosen size, refer to the FIND YOUR SIZE tab for more information.
You will need:
- 5cm / 2” wide elastic for the waistband. Refer to cutting plan by size for measurement.
- 3cm / 1.2” wide contrast bias binding strip to finish the inside of the waistband. Refer to cutting plan by size for measurement.
- Sizes 3XL-6XL may require an additional contrast panel added to your pocket bag pieces for extra length. This will depend on the fabric width you have chosen.
Recommended Tools: Sewing machine, iron, chalk or dissolvable pen, scissors, large right angle ruler and/or long straight ruler.
PDF Pattern/Instruction Booklet: Includes measurements in both metric (centimetres) and US imperial (inches). Booklet/Templates are printable on both A4 or US Letter Paper size.
We love working with the Zero Waste method for 3 reasons:
1. More flexibility: This method allows for easy changes such as using different fabric widths and making simple fit and design changes yourself. Using patterns that fit into a zero waste square or rectangular block is a very efficient way to work. It means that it is easier to patchwork together remnants or use left over fabrics you already have lying around.
2. An easy way to learn to self draft your own patterns: Working this way will help you to start building a toolbox of skills, and you will learn an alternative method of self drafting your own sewing patterns, which are super easy for beginners to understand.
3. Less fabric and paper waste: Without having to print full scale paper patterns for all pieces you save on a lot of paper, and you will have little to no fabric waste during the cutting and sewing process!
This pattern comes in 10 sizes:
XS: waist 60-65cm / 24-26", hip 86-91cm / 34-36"
S: waist 65-70cm / 26-28", hip 91-96cm / 36-38"
M: waist 70-75cm / 28-30", hip 96-101cm / 38-40"
L: waist 75-80cm / 30-32", hip 101-106cm / 40-42"
XL: waist 80-85cm / 32-34", hip 106-112cm / 42-44"
2XL: waist 86-94cm / 34-37", hip 112-120cm / 44-47"
3XL: waist 94-102cm / 37-40", hip 120-128cm / 47-50"
4XL: waist 102-110cm / 40-43", hip 128-136cm / 50-53"
5XL: waist 110-118cm / 43-46", hip 136-144cm / 53-56"
6XL: waist 118-126cm / 46-49", hip 144-152cm / 56-60"