This is an oversized cropped shirt made using Zero Waste Pattern Cutting. Zero waste pattern cutting is a bit like a puzzle. It is a method of pattern drafting where you utilise a length of fabric end to end by strategically planning your pattern pieces so that everything is used. This pattern does not require the printing of large pattern pieces, instead, you draw your pattern pieces directly onto your fabric with the aid of a cutting plan and templates.
The Cropped Shirt has a dropped shoulder, neckband and button front closure. The length of the bodice is easily adjustable to your preference. The width of the garment is variable depending on the fabric width you use. Comes with 2 simple hack options.
Please note: This PDF sewing pattern uses zero waste pattern cutting and comprises of instructions to draw shapes directly onto your fabric. With the exception of some small templates, there are no pattern pieces to print out and tape together. You will receive a link to download the digital files after purchase.
Sewing Level: Advanced Beginner.
Recommended Fabric: Ideal in woven linen or cotton with a weight of approx 150-200gsm.
Sizing: This is a 'one size' pattern which comes in two size ranges - Size 1 (EU 36 - 44) and Size 2 (EU 46 - 52). Due to the zero waste nature of this pattern, some design details may change between sizes. Choose your size above and refer to the finished garment measurements in the FIND MY SIZE tab for more info.
The recommended width of fabric is 135cm - 155cm / 53 - 61 inches. The wider the fabric, the wider the shirt.
Size One: You will need 90cm / 35 1/2 inches (approx 1 yard)
Size Two: You will need 100cm / 39 1/2 inches (approx 1.1 yard)
You will need:
- 3 buttons, depending on your chosen garment size, approx 20mm / 3/4" in size.
- Optional lightweight fusing for the neck band, this is only recommended for very fine fabrics.
Recommended Tools: Sewing machine, iron, chalk or dissolvable pen, scissors, large right angle ruler and/or long straight ruler.
Techniques used: Buttonholes.
PDF Pattern/Instruction Booklet: Includes measurements in both metric (centimetres) and US imperial (inches). Booklet/Templates are printable on both A4 or US Letter Paper size.
We love working with the Zero Waste method for 3 reasons:
1. More flexibility: This method allows for easy changes such as using different fabric widths and making simple fit and design changes yourself. Using patterns that fit into a zero waste square or rectangular block is a very efficient way to work. It means that it is easier to patchwork together remnants or use left over fabrics you already have lying around.
2. An easy way to learn to self draft your own patterns: Working this way will help you to start building a toolbox of skills, and you will learn an alternative method of self drafting your own sewing patterns, which are super easy for beginners to understand.
3. Less fabric and paper waste: Without having to print full scale paper patterns for all pieces you save on a lot of paper, and you will have little to no fabric waste during the cutting and sewing process!
These measurements are based on using a fabric that is 145cm / 57 inches wide. You can make this top larger or smaller by choosing a fabric with a wider or narrower width.
SIZE CHART SIZE ONE:
- Chest/bust 86-104cm
- Waist 66-84cm / 26-33"
- Hip 88-108cm / 34-42"
SIZE CHART SIZE TWO:
- Chest/bust 105-128cm / 41-50"
- Waist 85-110cm / 34-42"
- Hip 109-135cm / 43-53"
FINISHED GARMENT MEASUREMENTS SIZE ONE
- Length, shoulder to hem: 54 cm / 21 1/4 inches
- Body circumference: 125cm / 49 1/4 inches
- Sleeve length, neck to sleeve hem: 30cm / 11 3/4 inches
- Sleeve/bicep circumference: 53cm / 20 3/4 inches
FINISHED GARMENT MEASUREMENTS SIZE TWO
- Length, shoulder to hem: 59 cm / 23 1/4 inches
- Body circumference: 140cm / 55 inches
- Hip Circumference: 155cm / 61 inches
- Sleeve length, neck to sleeve hem: 40.5cm / 16 inches
- Sleeve/bicep circumference: 64cm / 25 1/4 inches