The Zero Waste Gather Dress is an oversized dress with a dropped shoulder, gathered skirt, side pockets and full length button placket with buttons and button holes. Zero waste pattern cutting is a bit like a puzzle. It is a method of pattern drafting where you utilise a length of fabric end to end by strategically planning your pattern pieces so that everything is used. This pattern does not require the printing of large pattern pieces, instead, you draw your pattern pieces directly onto your fabric with the aid of a cutting plan and templates.
The Gather Dress can be worn as a dress or an open jacket. The skirt seam is designed to sit over the bust. The lengths of the bodice and skirt are easily adjustable to your preference. The width of the garment is variable depending on the fabric width you use. The pattern comes with 2 simple hack options, one of which does not require buttons or button holes.
Please note: This PDF sewing pattern uses zero waste pattern cutting and includes instructions to draw shapes directly onto your fabric. With the exception of some templates, there are no large pattern pieces to print out. The cutting plan/templates document for the ZW Gather Dress requires printing of 5-6 pages in A4/US Letter Paper. You will receive a link to download the digital files after purchase.
Sewing Level: Advanced Beginner.
Recommended Fabric: Ideal in woven linen or cotton with a weight of approx 150-200gsm. Choose something with a bit of drape and something that is not too thick as the gathers can add a lot of fullness.
Sizing: Suitable for a bust measurement of up to 156cm / 61". This is an oversized ONE SIZE style that comes with 2 size options, a size ONE and a size TWO. Choose which layout to use based on your size and fabric width.
Fabric Requirements: Please see the tab FIND YOUR SIZE for detailed fabric requirements.
Recommended fabric widths: 125cm - 155cm / 49 - 61"
Yardage required: 260cm / 102 1/4" (approx 2.85 yards)
Recommended fabric widths: 110cm - 145cm / 43 – 57"
Yardage required: 394.5cm / 155 1/2"
You will need:
- 9 buttons (depending on your chosen garment size) approx 12mm / 1/2" in size.
- It is also optional to use a lightweight fusing for the neck band, this is only recommended for very fine fabrics.
Recommended Tools: Sewing machine, iron, chalk or dissolvable pen, scissors, large right angle ruler and/or long straight ruler.
Techniques used: Buttonholes, gathers and in-seam pockets.
PDF Pattern/Instruction Booklet: Includes measurements in both metric (centimetres) and US imperial (inches). Booklet/Templates are printable on both A4 or US Letter Paper size.
We love working with the Zero Waste method for 3 reasons:
1. More flexibility: This method allows for easy changes such as using different fabric widths and making simple fit and design changes yourself. Using patterns that fit into a zero waste square or rectangular block is a very efficient way to work. It means that it is easier to patchwork together remnants or use left over fabrics you already have lying around.
2. An easy way to learn to self draft your own patterns: Working this way will help you to start building a toolbox of skills, and you will learn an alternative method of self drafting your own sewing patterns, which are super easy for beginners to understand.
3. Less fabric and paper waste: Without having to print full scale paper patterns for all pieces you save on a lot of paper, and you will have little to no fabric waste during the cutting and sewing process!