The Zero Waste Tier Dress comprises 3 separate cutting plans that can be mixed and matched to make 4 different dresses. A short dress with thin straps, a long dress with thin straps, a short dress with sleeves and a long dress with sleeves. Zero waste pattern cutting is a bit like a puzzle. It is a method of pattern drafting where you utilise a length of fabric end to end by strategically planning your pattern pieces so that everything is used. This pattern does not require the printing of large pattern pieces, instead, you draw your pattern pieces directly onto your fabric with the aid of a cutting plan and templates.
If you are not using the sleeve, the dress strap will need to be cut from a remnant of fabric. This dress has an above the bust self lined panel, the A-line dress below this is gathered on. A bottom gathered tier can be added to the dress and a gathered sleeve with an elasticated hem. The sleeve is hand sewn to the strap and underarm after the dress has been fully made.
Please note: This PDF sewing pattern uses zero waste pattern cutting and includes instructions to draw shapes directly onto your fabric. With the exception of some templates, there are no large pattern pieces to print out. The cutting plan/templates document for the ZW Tier Dress requires printing of 15-18 pages in A4/US Letter Paper. You will receive a link to download the digital files after purchase.
Sewing Level: Advanced Beginner.
Recommended Fabric: This works best with lightweight woven fabrics in cotton, linen, silk or viscose. A weight of approximately 80-160gsm is ideal.
Sizing: This pattern comes with 10 size options from XS - 6XL (hip 86-152cm / 34"-60"). All sizes are included in the pattern. There is a separate cutting plan booklet for sizes XS-2XL and 3XL-6XL which include detailed measurements and templates. Please see the FIND YOUR SIZE tab for more detailed information.
Recommended fabric widths: Widths and yardage requirements vary depending on your chosen size. If you want to work with a fabric outside of the recommended widths there are alternate pattern layouts provided in the instruction booklet. See the Garment Views / Yardage Requirements image for more details.
Yardage Requirements: This varies depending on the size and garment view you are making. Please see the FIND YOUR SIZE tab for more detailed information.
You will need:
- VIEW A, B, C, D: Binding to finish underarm, optional lightweight fusing for front and back bodice lining (B + D).
- VIEW A, C: Contrast or remnant fabric to cut straps.
- VIEW B, D: Binding to finish sleeves, elastic for sleeve hem.
Recommended Tools: Sewing machine, iron, chalk or dissolvable pen, scissors, large right angle ruler and/or long straight ruler.
PDF Pattern/Instruction Booklet: Includes measurements in both metric (centimetres) and US imperial (inches). Booklet/Templates are printable on both A4 or US Letter Paper size.
We love working with the Zero Waste method for 3 reasons:
1. More flexibility: This method allows for easy changes such as using different fabric widths and making simple fit and design changes yourself. Using patterns that fit into a zero waste square or rectangular block is a very efficient way to work. It means that it is easier to patchwork together remnants or use left over fabrics you already have lying around.
2. An easy way to learn to self draft your own patterns: Working this way will help you to start building a toolbox of skills, and you will learn an alternative method of self drafting your own sewing patterns, which are super easy for beginners to understand.
3. Less fabric and paper waste: Without having to print full scale paper patterns for all pieces you save on a lot of paper, and you will have little to no fabric waste during the cutting and sewing process!
This pattern comes with 10 size options from XS - 6XL (hip 86-152cm / 34"-60")