This is an oversized workwear style jacket made using Zero Waste Pattern Cutting. It has a collar and a dropped shoulder and comes with 2 pocket options. The jacket has side splits, front button closure, shoulder darts on front and back shoulders for shaping and back gathers on the sleeve hem with a roll up cuff. Zero waste pattern cutting is a bit like a puzzle. It is a method of pattern drafting where you utilise a length of fabric end to end by strategically planning your pattern pieces so that everything is used. This pattern does not require the printing of large pattern pieces, instead, you draw your pattern pieces directly onto your fabric with the aid of a cutting plan and templates.
Please note: This PDF sewing pattern uses zero waste pattern cutting and includes instructions to draw shapes directly onto your fabric. With the exception of some templates, there are no large pattern pieces to print out. The cutting plan/templates document for the ZW Workwear Jacket requires printing of 8-9 pages in A4/US Letter Paper. You will receive a link to download the digital files after purchase.
Sewing Level: Advanced Beginner.
Recommended Fabric: Choose something in a woven fabric. For a Spring/Summer version choose a mid-heavy weight linen or cotton. For a winter version, this works well in a light to mid weight wool coating. Is also lovely in a cotton corduroy.
Sizing: This is a one size pattern where the finished garment size is determined by the fabric width. It comes with 2 pattern layout options suitable for up to a 160cm / 63" hip. Both sizes are included in the pattern. Please refer to the FIND YOUR SIZE tab for more information.
Recommended fabric widths:
- SIZE ONE: 130-155cm / 51 - 61"
- SIZE TWO: 120-145cm / 47 - 57"
- SIZE ONE: 170cm / 67 inches ( approx 1.86 yards)
- SIZE TWO: Changes based on fabric width used, see 'yardage requirements' in the images for more.
You will need:
- 4-5 buttons approx 2.5cm / 1" wide.
- Optional mid-heavy iron on woven fusing for the front facings and half the collar.
Recommended Tools: Sewing machine, iron, chalk or dissolvable pen, scissors, large right angle ruler and/or long straight ruler.
Techniques used: Button holes, gathers, darts, collar, side splits.
PDF Pattern/Instruction Booklet: Includes measurements in both metric (centimetres) and US imperial (inches). Booklet/Templates are printable on both A4 or US Letter Paper size.
We love working with the Zero Waste method for 3 reasons:
1. More flexibility: This method allows for easy changes such as using different fabric widths and making simple fit and design changes yourself. Using patterns that fit into a zero waste square or rectangular block is a very efficient way to work. It means that it is easier to patchwork together remnants or use left over fabrics you already have lying around.
2. An easy way to learn to self draft your own patterns: Working this way will help you to start building a toolbox of skills, and you will learn an alternative method of self drafting your own sewing patterns, which are super easy for beginners to understand.
3. Less fabric and paper waste: Without having to print full scale paper patterns for all pieces you save on a lot of paper, and you will have little to no fabric waste during the cutting and sewing process!
Suitable for fabric widths between 130-155cm / 51-61". Please note the sizing changes depending on the fabric width you use. The below measurements are based on using a fabric that is 145cm / 57" wide. For more detailed sizing info by fabric width refer to the size chart shown in the images.
- Length, shoulder to hem: 79cm / 31 inches
- Max Bust/Hip: 104cm / 40" (allows for 30-40cm / 12-16” ease from the actual garment measurements).
- Sleeve length, measured from the neck to the sleeve hem: 69.75cm / 27.5"
- Armhole depth, measured from shoulder to underarm point: 27.5cm / 10.625"
- Neck opening when buttoned up: 53cm / 21"
Suitable for fabric widths between 120-145cm / 47-57". Please note the sizing changes depending on the fabric width you use. The below measurements are based on using a fabric that is 130cm / 51" wide. For more detailed sizing info by fabric width refer to the size chart shown in the images.
- Length, shoulder to hem: 81.5cm / 32 inches
- Max Bust/Hip: 135cm / 53" (allows for approximately 30cm / 12" ease from the actual garment measurements).
- Sleeve length, measured from the neck to the sleeve hem: 70cm / 27.5"
- Armhole depth, measured from shoulder to underarm point: 31.5cm / 12.5"
- Neck opening when buttoned up: 54cm / 21.25"